Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 38 6/29/13 (Staying up late, waking up late, reading about electronics, life and soul searching, chilling and San Carlos)

After staying up till about 1 AM watching several movies (Resident Evil: Afterlife and part of the Hangover) I passed out. Luckily today was one of the first days where I could sleep in and just relax a bit (sleeping in until 9 AM (watch out guys I’m a sleeping fiend)). Today basically nothing has happened (so I’ll try not to make this a boring-fill-up-pages-use-memory-waste-time blog entry). The morning was all about chilling and eventually getting a shower and eating some breakfast (at like 10 AM (getting back on the weekend college schedule I suppose)). This morning was also epic though because I was able to go online and get some time to just enjoy electronics and science. I explored Scientific American’s website and read some interesting articles on extreme tech such as expanding foam (good stuff basically) to be injected into wounds to coagulate and stop the bleeding (it actually works too!) but some are worried that the foam can disintegrate and spread smaller pieces into the blood streams (causing blockages in other critical blood vessels). Another piece of technology I read about was this acoustic sensor that uses three wires to trace the path of individual air particles and create a sound profile given that information. This information can then be extrapolated to pinpoint the origin of the sound and determine the direction of the sound as well (by looking at the displacement of the particles). In essence this allows for quantification of sound origin and one major application is in military devices for pinpointing and classifying gunfire. By far my favorite new piece of technology I read about today is called electro permanent magnet. Basically this technology takes the advantages of an electromagnet and combines them with the toggle privileges of switch to create a magnet with changeable strength (this magnet can be toggled on with electricity and then will stay on after the power is removed (unlike an electromagnet (HOLY FUTZ! SO AWESOME!))). This technology has actually been used by (have to give them credit for this one) an MIT lab group to build these 1 cm cube modular robots that will arrange themselves and stay in the shape (due to the locking power of the magnets) chosen by the group. Obviously this technology can be extended and minimized (and another MIT group was working on a stepper motor using this type of magnetic winding (which shows quite promising capabilities)). Another advantage about this magnet type is that the design can actually hold quite a bit of weight (up to 10x weight of the magnet). This technology is quite applicable to modular robotics as this can help to minimize the current required to keep the robots together (this technology is accomplished through a coil winding around two different permanent magnets such that a current running in the wire induces a magnetic field in the two cores that change the effect of the field (on and off)). Basically I want to buy myself some of these and start putting them on everything I have. Also during this time I realized that I have been wasting too much of my life with useless pursuits and realized that I have to focus more on my work (basically having a mini-life crisis in the sense of I have to start doing more projects and whatnot as I haven’t done anything “quite cool” in my opinion (Thank you Iron Man for getting me stoked to fabricate all manner of projects (I also have revised how I see projects and learning to better understand life (all very important ideals (major life and soul searching going on down here))))). Anyways basically life has been pretty chill here during the time after the morning, just been reading up on electronics, chilling and napping a bit (and eventually Dan and I walked around the city of San Carlos and took in the bustling metropolis of San Carlos (bustling if you’re an a rural farmer in the middle of the nowhere in Kansas)). The city here is rather nice actually as it’s located right on the Río San Juan with the waterfront and the Solentiname islands in the distance. The town is only several blocks with very small shops and a tiny enclosed market. The people are quite amiable here and will say hello and smile. There really aren’t the major dance clubs or major theaters (or any theaters) or major large city attractions (apparently there is an airport) here, but the tradeoff is the quite appeasing relaxed environment. There also is a fort above the town (that Dan and I did not see as we weren’t looking hard enough (-.- dunno how we missed that one)), but we’ll have to see it later (don’t want to wear out all the excitement here in 1 weekend). The town is rather tranquil though. Another note I have to make is the architecture in Nicaragua. Many of the houses and buildings here incorporate the ambient environment into them with open windows and passageways leading between rooms. This incorporates quite a bit of natural light and airflow (as AC is wicked expensive) but this all reminds me of the eco-effective design as brought up by William McDonough and Michael Braungart in their book Cradle to Cradle (which I highly recommend reading a bit of). The incorporation of nature (granted the area here has the climate for such interweaving) gives the architecture a more rustic organic and relaxed feel (in stark contrast to the ultra-sterile and nature-opposed designs of some of the eco-efficient buildings in the states). Moreover, the buildings seek to reuse and conserve resources as much as possible (something I think the states should do more often). Anyways not sure what tonight will bring, but take care for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment