Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 31 6/22/13 (Staying up late (early?), meeting a WPI semi-alum, soccer in a field, Canelones, soccer on the TV, Tower Heist)


So far the day has just continued from the last one. I’ve been waiting for Dan to return and it’s late. I think I’ll brush my teeth and just nap in a chair next to the window to await his return (as I have to let him in the door). We’ll see if I can get some sleep eventually. Nothing has happened so far today. Nothing. Only about 2 more days and I will be halfway through with this excursion! O.o I’ll be heading to San Carlos in 6 days for the next phase of fixing equipment. Good morning now! I got up around 9 AM (after a solid sleep (felt so so good)) and had some breakfast and did Spanish homework on the subjunctive and describing the operation of phototherapy lights (bilirubin lights) in Spanish with common problems and what we have to test. Also for the first time I got to have some fresh fruit down here (fresh ripe mango that was deslish! (like da’ fish)). After that I putted around working on various blog posts etc (normal life) and eventually left to go play some soccer with Dan, his brothers, Salvador Jr. and some other kids. This turned into the most epic trip as I walked all around the city first then came back to the homestay got my phone and then walked all the way down to the lake and to this soccer field like 25 minutes from our house. It took forever to get there. I was walking to the parque central when a man wearing an orange shirt with glass and a hat asked me what WPI on my shirt stood for. I said it was my university (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) and he said he had gone there for as part of the class of 1964! So here was a WPI attendee (he had not graduated, but left for another school) in Granada Nicaragua. He was from Honduras and had moved up north for school. I think he lives in California right now too. I talked to him a bit about what I was studying there and he told me that his old teacher used to head the physics department or maybe a student in his class is head of the physics department (dunno what he was trying to say there). Anyways he was talking about how even back then he was dating chicks from Clark and Becker. Ah good times. His name was Gonzalo. He also said his son is in CA and studied or is studying at UCLA. I couldn’t believe I met someone from WPI (and someone who spoke so highly of the school too! (he keep saying it was a great choice to go there))! WPI REPRESENT! After that I kept walking down Calzada street to the dock and then to the lake where I briefly talked to this Nicaraguan dude who was saying that many of the tourists here can’t speak a lick of Spanish and he was surprised that I could. He told me the kids had gone to the park way down the lake (which was true as I could vaguely see them playing soccer on a concrete court. So I headed off to play some soccer. Soccer was aight. I’ve realized that I am not that great at soccer and just sort to lumber around with as much ability to do. WE were mainly playing 5 v. 5 or 6 v. 6 and switching in an out for teams. After a while we got tired and headed back for lunch (at which point the seemingly infinite distance from the field to our home became readily apparent). The lunch we had made it all worth it though: as it was this epic pasta jawn (Canelones) with cheese and ketchup on top with a mix of cheese, chicken, olives inside. I also had cheesy rice and a small salad and some Big Cola to top everything off. Win.
 
 
Even got to watch the end of the soccer game between Brazil and Italy. The game was 1 to 3 when we started watching and the last 15 minutes saw Italy score a hotly contested goal as the goalie stopped playing because the ref was close to blowing his whistle. It took a few minutes to accept the score and it became 2-3 Italy v. Brazil. With like 2 minutes to go Brazil scored an epic goal and carried the game through overtime (about 2 minutes). I even saw the first 17 minutes of the Mexico vs. Japan game (same stadium), but this game wasn’t all that exciting except that Japan scored a goal that was redacted because a penalty had occurred as the goal was scored. I was rooting for Mexico although they seemed to be a tad sloppy with controlling the ball. Also got to watch the last quarter of Tower Heist with Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy (in Spanish). Been chilling and it poured quite a ton today, also got another fresh mango as I was watching and a mini-sandwich for a snack! So epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment