Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 61 7/22/13 (Shop cleaning, interviewing Jose, fixing a centrifuge (soldering brushes), pizza, going into to OR(s), more bulbs, autoclave annoyances)

Breakfast good. Shower cold. Work at 8. Upon arrival at the hospital we started cleaning the shop of all the pieces of equipment that are broken and we are not fixing (and put these in the trailer of bad parts and equipment). After that I made the necessary splicing connector for the autoclave (by cutting a sliding terminal end from an AC control board to be a rectangle). It was good. After that we interviewed Jose (the head of the laboratory in the hospital) about equipment he uses and what he needs for equipment (and EWH requirement) in donations (to better understand needs of hospital staff). Anyways he told us not that much but he said he would not accept a microscope without a 100X objective lens. We talked about photospectrometers a bit as well. Anyways after that Jose gave us two new centrifuges to work on (not sure why those popped up now and not like weeks ago, but whatever. We got two more electronic ones (one large just like the large one from Los Chiles and a smaller one). Dan took the small one and I took the larger one. We both opened up the cases (Dan had to work on the power supply of the small centrifuge). This large centrifuge I had was just as annoying to open as the one from Los Chiles. Anyways after opening it and figuring out how to check the brushes (team effort on that one), I realized that the brushes were wildly short (5 mm each) and needed to be replaced. Luckily, Barney had gifted us a pack of 2 brushes so I took those out and started sanding down the side of them to fix into the brush holding chamber and after much sanding and 1 piece of 500 grit later, the brush was the right size. After that I only had to desolder the old brush from the end clip and solder the new one in with the spring and fit the mechanism back in the chamber. After more aggravation putting the centrifuge back together (although I figured out a much easier way to get everything together this time by removing the rotor). Anyways it took us into lunch to get the centrifuge back together, but it is working now! BAM! Fixed!

All ready to be put together
Old and new brushes

Finished brush

 We tried the centrifuge up to 3900 RPM (rotor rated up to 4K), and it worked albeit it seemed to have some resonance issues at odd speeds like 500 RPM and 1300 RPM, but they need it at 2000 RPM which works fine. After that we grabbed some lunch at the pizza place (pepperoni and onion pizza with cheese filled crust). After lunch Dan and I returned to the hospital to go into surgery again (to do inventory and replace bulbs on another surgical lamp). We got the scrubs and scrubbed up and entered the OR in the afternoon (when no surgeries are taking place (although one of the rooms we entered was being cleaned from surgery and looked quite grody/sketch in some areas)). Anyways we started doing the inventory and replaced the 3 bulbs by unscrewing the lens on the front and changing out the small bulbs (which had blown out). That was easy and then we had to take down the annoying details about the machines for our inventory (model, serial number, manufacturer and working condition). We did this for both ORs and then inventoried a few other machines in another room and then headed out soon after. 

Changing bulbs

Doing inventory in the OR

One OR setup

The same setup in widescreen

The other OR room

Dog was picking through the trash O.o

This was pretty decent, but it was pouring pretty bad outside, so we tried to get the other ultrasound machine that we've been missing for a week on inventory, but we couldn't as the room was locked, so I taped up the bad Oxygen concentrator with a 'Malo' made out of electrical tape. After that we headed back to the shop to grab the wheel chair and then head to the bike shop. We also changed the position of the oxygen tanks and put caps on several of them (there was a large tank leaning on a small one = extra danger, so we changed the positions).

Can't spell it out any better

This is sketchy

 Marlon gave us a ride to the bike shop in the rain (we sat in the truck cab) and Dan stayed at the bike shop as I went to the centro de salud to get a truck to the hostel to grab the autoclave and bring it there. I did this again in the rain (riding in the back with the machine, but it was only really lightly raining and I felt like a BA riding the in back for like 25 seconds with autoclave). The guy that helped me carry the unit up to the second floor was like dying after getting it in the room and I felt bad for him and thanked him for helping. After that I tried the autoclave and it doesn't work -.- // (basically the unit will not pump water into the chamber for some reason, maybe a blocked pump?). Anyways have to look at that tomorrow. I put together the woman's printer and found out I still had like 6 screws, so I had to "find" a place for them in the housing somewhere (but I only could put like 3 in the case, so I was left with like 3...). Oh well it still doesn't work, so I'm not supremely worried. Before when I entered the clinic the woman who brought me the printer had grilled me on whether the printer was working and was disappointed to hear the power supply is dead (she was asking me if I had another to give her (probably joking) and I was like da futz?! are you serious?). Anyways she was a bit sad I couldn't fix the printer (that one actually hurt a bit there cause I wish I could do more, but there's nothing more I can do as I don't know enough about the power supply to test it more). Anyways it was 6 PM and the SILAIS folks were literally kicking me out of the clinic so I went home and chilled. Long day and it was aggravating after leaving the hospital. Hopefully will be better.

Check out this uber cool board I found in the junk trailer! (think it's for a pump or something, but the hoses look like a MC Escher print)

Dog just chilling on the emergency room ramp

No comments:

Post a Comment