Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 57 7/18/13 (More centrifuge problems, and autoclave and an error, a dead printer, checking a printer power supply, hunting for a switch and cutting up a switch terminal)

Today was the standard day with a trip to the hospital after breakfast. After that I arrived at the clinic at 8:30 and started immediately working on that centrifuge (the one with the lid latch that hasn’t been working). Anyways I couldn’t get it working anymore so I just left it for a bit and decided to open up the larger centrifuge that was working and try to check the diodes and brushes. The larger one was a bit of an annoyance to open as the base had 5/16ths hex bolts on it (think they were that size) and had to torque some of them using this large wrench on the screwdriver. Anyways, after getting that open I was able to look inside the clean area after I unscrewed the motor mount plate from the base (I thought this would turn into another one of the small centrifuges, but luckily it did not). Anyways I got that off and eventually removed the base cover and look at the motor. The motor looked fine and I couldn’t get to the brushes and they were sealed behind this mechanism I’ve never seen and didn’t want to mess with (so I left them alone and sealed the case back up after looking a bit at the board). I then got everything back together (including the annoying limit switch that sits against the motor mounting plate to check for vibrations I think) and the centrifuge still worked and the door still sealed as before (so that was a win). The centrifuge also is just as quiet, so I’m counting that one as good. Around 10 I opened up the one autoclave that had been having an error and everything looked fine, so I filled it up with water. At this time one of the nurses brought me a printer that was not printing so I opened up the back and pulled out two pieces of paper which seemed to be jammed in there. After that I tried powering on the printer and it would not turn on. I also let the autoclave run a cycle and it heated up to the temperature, but it alarmed after 9 minutes of the cycle; throwing up a “error 08” message and stopping the cycle (and just alarming). So I left the unit to cool down all day (which literally took until like 4:30). At this point I was in the middle of taking apart this printer (or at least trying to, but the design did not seem to have any way of accomplishing this, so I would take out a couple of screws, look at the housing and then take a break. I eventually got open the printer to the power supply and measured across this one diode and found it measure 0.198 and 1.3 (the first number being low). I then decided to swap the diode form the centrifuge board to this place and then check if the printer worked. So I had to find a way to expose the power supply which seemed to be a task in and of itself (which involved removing the undercarriage and disconnecting 6 or so cables running to the USB board). Before doing that I measured some voltages on the board and got that these 4 diodes were each dropping 75V across them (probably the rectifier diodes) and the “bad” diode I had found was only dropping a volt or so. I had to take a break from the printer and work back on the centrifuge as I decided it was time to just stick the front on and hope for the best. So I attached the front and put the screws in to find the door actually sealed like it used to! I was so excited that I hit the door release button and it went bad to being easy to open -.- // false hopes. Anyways it still seals pretty well and has the ability to run and the door to stay closed, so I explained this to Guillermo and he said it’s fine. The centrifuge also works really well as I ran it through its hour cycle at the high RPMs and it worked and was quiet. I also tried the autoclave and found that it has two leaks (one by a large pipe end and one below the tank in the corner (so those have to be addressed as well)). During this time I also was waiting on lunch and tinkering with the printer and asked Guillermo for his contact info (so I can pass it along to EWH). After that I had lunch in the AC board room (it’s so cold in there) and waited for the autoclave to cool in addition to tinkering more on the printer and getting the power supply out of the bottom (after more work). I then desoldered the diodes from the different boards and got the diodes switched on the boards. I then plugged everything back in and tested the power supply and it still did not work correctly -.- . I was measuring voltages on the ribbon cable connector where it should be 5V and 24V, but the voltages were not there; indicating somewhere the power supply is broken. I then thought I might be working on a fridge at some woman’s house (but I found out later that Monday would be better). Before I was fully able to put everything back on the power boards I had to head to the hostel to meet Kevin at 3 to go test O2 concentrators with the Tulane research group’s prototype. We arrived at the hospital and Popo said there was a lab oven that wasn’t working and needed to be addressed now, so we went and looked at it and what had happened was that one of the DPST rocker switch’s terminals on the back had broken off. This meant one of the power cords was just hanging wildly in the air. We looked around for a switch in the shop and dump, but couldn’t find anything. So then Kevin and I went to several hardware shops that didn’t have anything like it (but the Constrúmas place mentioned this autoparts store outside of town). I then decided to try there and made my way back to the hospital to grab a taxi there and Kevin went back to check on Dan (who had been released and was at home now and it getting better slowly). I talked to Marlon who gave me a ride all the way out there in his pickup truck thing, but both places didn’t have the type of switch (just a normal DPST rocker that could go in a car or something similar) (they had this weird headlight switch, but nothing else). On the way back I decided that I could still use two of the 4 connections and then just splice the other two wires together (as Kevin had mentioned something similar). So I got back and Popo wanted me to splice in this switch from a compressor which would require cutting the 4 crimp and slide terminals off, so I took that one some diagonal cutters and tape and a screwdriver and the switch and went to work on the machine in the lab. I decided that I could use the broken off terminal and cut it down to slide the other two crimp slide terminals onto it and make the connection. This actually worked and the unit powered on! Unfortunately the first time I had the switch in backwards and had to swap connections around a bit, but it eventually worked again! BAM! Fix! (it was good too because they needed this for the next morning too.) After that I headed back to the hostel and then to the clinic to finish up there and get an autoclave. I soldered the diode back into the board and then packed up tools and grabbed the autoclave with Kevin (another that won’t power on) and brought it downstairs where we loaded it onto the bed of a pickup truck and one of the guys backed the truck up the street to the hostel. After that we brought the ’clave in and chilled the rest of the night. Got a ton of rest. So nice. Peace! No work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment