Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 59 7/20/13 (A slow morning, Gizmondo’s director, KF, autoclavin’ it, razor blades are handy, modeling a camera in 3ds Max and going dancing at the Champra)

The day started somewhat later than a normal day with the occasion being that it was a Saturday and I stayed up until 12 talking to our host cousin. Anyways when I eventually did get up I had breakfast and grabbed a shower. Kevin left wicked early at like 7:50 AM because he was heading to the bus stop to grab an 8 AM bus and ride all day up north someplace. Breakfast was fairly normal. Now Dan and I had decided to stay home this weekend on account of him recovering from sickness and it being our last weekend here in San Carlos, so this being the case, it has been a slow weekend. Not to fear! I did bring some work home with me (in that autoclave). Before I got started working on the autoclave I decided to spend some time chillaxing on KF and reading up on some interesting videogame and game related articles online (one particularly interesting one was from Wired and talked about the story behind the Gizmondo and here’s a link to it: Wired 14.10: Gizmondo's Spectacular Crack-up. It talks about one of the directors named Eriksson who has a sketchy past and questionable dealings with the company (Enron?). Anyways it was interesting to read about because I remember the Gizmondo was wicked hyped but never really showed up after launch. Anyways after that I played some KF and just vegged for an hour or two (I don’t really have anything to do down here in San Carlos so…). Anyways after that I motivated myself to figure out what was wrong with the autoclave and why it was not turning on. So the first thing I did was remove the exterior case and look at the inside for obvious wire breaks etc. This didn’t seem plausible as the unit looked mint inside (save for some cobwebs in the front) near the boards for the display. Anyways I also noticed back when I got the unit that the reset switch on the back seemed kind of funky as it would slide in and out when it should have resistance to doing that. I plugged the unit in and started checking voltages across the unit. Everything checked out fine (nice 110V across the switches etc) (and I managed to NOT get a shock with this unit, so win!). Anyways I checked all of those and it still did not seem to be working. So then I had the idea to try jumping the two contacts on the back of the reset switch to see if that was the issue. Keep in mind that I was working on this unit in the living room of the hostel and by this point it was sitting with the case off on two green milk crates (that my host dad had brought me) and I was tinkering with it. Anyways the connection I needed would have been an easy task at the workshop, but I had just tools and no wire or other connectors. So I used my tools the best I could and broke off a razorblade segment from the knife and stuck the two connectors on that (because this is supposed to pass 110V and probably high currents so I couldn’t just use 20 AWG. Anyways after getting the connections on the blade, I plugged the unit in and BAM! I heard the clicking of relays and the screen came on! So it appears this reset switch is broken, but otherwise I think the unit is functional! I looked up the switch on the internet and it turns out to be a Campini capillary thermostat (which is a way of saying a thermometer against the drum of the autoclave used to break a circuit in case of excessive temperatures). What this means is that basically the reset button on this is broken and also means that I can’t really just replace the switch, but have to take the temp probe from the outside of the ‘clave drum (-.-// very difficult). I also found the piece online, but the company is in Italy and doesn’t even list prices online, so that looks incredibly promising for finding another one of those. I think I can just short the connection in that manner, but this removes a level of safety for the autoclave. This could be made up for by greater care by the operators and checking the temperature, but it’s not a great solution. I will talk to them on Monday to see what they want. After getting that working I was quite happy to look up additional information about the machine as I had a good start on the work. I continued my research of trying to find the elusive “error 8” message produced by the other machine, but I had no luck after checking several websites and trying to find a manual. I emailed Ron about the temp probe and the manual and the company about the probe to, so I’m waiting on that. After that I was pretty much done with my work and it was raining outside, so I figured while GMOD continued downloading the 2 GBs it had started working on during Friday I could work on a 3ds Max model (something that I haven’t done in too long). Normally I model objects that I can feel/touch/see so I chose to do my camera for this trip. 2 hours later I had a nice 3d model complete with minor materials and rendered that sucker with 2000 polys (an alternate version with some text knocked the poly count to around 2700). It was fun and relaxing at the same time. 


Back rendering of my camera

Front render (manufactured by FrickCo of course (adding another 700 polys for flair))

An earlier render of the front

After that I waited for dinner which was good. After that I took a nap (times are riveting down here). Later I left with our host sister and host cousin to go to the Champra and go dancing to celebrate the host sister’s birthday (on Sunday). Anyways it didn’t start until like 10 PM, but we arrived at like 9:05 and had to just chill inside until it started. Dancing was a ton of fun, with the music being electro and some Salsa songs (so got the best of both worlds there). Eventually at 1:30 AM we headed back and actually could make it in the hostel (with Sol unlocking the door) instead of cat burglaring inside. It was a good day (probably one of the better ones in San Carlos).

No comments:

Post a Comment