Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 55 7/16/13 (WD-40-ing a door, fixing the centrifuge, fixing Dopplers, getting a work train dropped on me, that danged whack-a-mole counter/more shocking work and some sphygs)

Today started with the normal routine and Kevin and I went to visit Dan. He was awake and quite a bit more energetic and talkative, despite saying he still felt bad. Anyways I also went to the clinic and grabbed the WD-40 to oil the hinges on the door to Dan’s room and it now opens like a ninja. After that I headed back to the clinic and started working on testing the power supply for the centrifuge. I noticed that only about 10 V AC was getting to the switch and the switch was working, so this told me the power cord was bad, and it this case it was cut and corroded in one place (so much that the wire had like no connection) (-.- why didn’t I just check that first?). Anyways then basically I just had to ask for a new power cord and put that in there after working quite a bit on the crimp connector and making the cord look really nice (I had to redo it at one point because I nicked the inner wires when cutting insulation (but it looked factory after that)). I also added my favorite twist terminal to get the power cord finished. After that I put the case back together a bit as I wanted to get it ready for later that day when I would be replacing the newer parts into the machine (from the old dirty case from yesterday). I worked a bit more on the Doppler that still wasn’t working and decided it’s just fried and I can’t do anything about that -.- // cheap hardware (but it’s cheap enough to be replaced). I then decided to spend some more time before lunch working on cleaning the neb I had (the one with the melted fan). I made quite the impact on the bottom case which was really dirty, I also oiled and cleaned the piston/motor and put everything aside until I can get a fan for it. Also during this time I spoke to the director dude as I had basically finished all of the work in the clinic. HE told me to wait until about lunch time and then he basically had people call around to other SILAIS clinics to find their broken equipment to bring it here to the Centro de Salud for me to work on (it was kinda cool to the administration at work like that). Anyways in the mean time I talked to another guy (Guillermo) about the nebulizer that needs the specific mask and about getting a new chargeable battery for the fetal Doppler. I was still waiting on lunch and decided to try swapping over the connectors on the one dead battery to the new good battery (they were just PWM connectors (small ones) stuck in the other connector). With those jeweler screwdrivers in hand I set to work getting those connectors out and opened to put on the new battery. This wasn’t all that bad and I got them off and the concept worked, so I went ahead and soldered the connectors and put them in the connector (got 1 before lunch and 1 after in some shuffling about). I needed more solder so I ate my lunch in the nice AC conference room and chilled for a bit. After I returned from visiting Dan at the hospital and catching up with Kevin and grabbing the solder, I arrived back at the clinic just in time. I got there and put my stuff down and not even like 10 minutes later several dudes started porting in various pieces of equipment (centrifuges, autoclaves, BP cuffs and what not). After the huge equipment train dropping that occurred I ended up with 3 centrifuges, 3 autoclaves, a nebulizer, two BP cuffs and a lamp. I started working on the lamp which did not turn on at all and found out decently quickly that the power cord was broken someplace. Also during this time Rigo (the lab tech from downstairs) cleaned out the counter and it still doesn’t work apparently (but at least I know what the counter is for (the keys have the types of blood in them and they can be tabulated and then converted into a percentage etc)). It seems to stop counting after 24 parts of this 1 type of blood (probably because that type can’t be in more than that quantity, but I’m not sure, so it looks like the counter has a logic error that I can’t really fix). Anyways I put that last connector PWM jawn in and got the Doppler working again (success and win on that one!). I found another Doppler (from Los Chiles (as the rest of the equipment train is from)) and put 2 AAs in it and it “magically” works. We also worked a bit on the whack-a-mole (blood particulate) counter and took it off the board and tried to get it working (really only resulting in it not working and me receiving 2 110V shocks (-.- futz that counter) (4 110V shocks this trip)) so we put it back in the case (I had to solder the switch and power cables back in) and it worked again (with its logic error). Aw well. Good enough. I tried working with the lamp more, but it’s somewhat futzed and I was thinking of rewiring it tomorrow. I then from like 5 to 6 worked on the centrifuge with Rigo (swapped the new components back into the nice clean centrifuge). I also fixed a sphyg (changed the needle to 0) and worked a bit on a nebulizer (cleaning it and oiling the bearings), but the neb doesn’t put out any more airflow than it did (not really anything I can do about that (besides trying to get a new head for it as it seems to be slightly clogged)). The big centrifuge is also working. I clocked out and headed to the hospital at 6:50 PM and headed to the hospital where I met Kevin and Dan (who is doing better from my time at the hospital talking to him) (not 100% but maybe like 65?). Anyways after getting back at like 8 PM then it was dinner and I basically passed out after that. So tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment