Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 3 5/25/13 (A volcano, a bar and much walking)

Today was a chill day. I woke up around like 7:30 AM to get ready to be at the school at 8:30 because the group was heading to el Volcan Masaya (Masaya Volcano). Last night I had played around with the EWH phone that I have and found out that the phone has a very bright light on it and that I can change the idioma (language) of the phone to English. I also found that the phone has extensive multimedia options such as playing MP3s and watching movies as well as a radio tuner on the phone! Anyways Dan and I went to the school and got there before everyone else. Cuando los otras llegaron, nosotoros fuimos al volcan (when the others arrived we went to the volcano). The bus ride there was about 40 minutes long and it took us past a new series of buildings and places that were not as nice as Granada (but this is to be expected for such and area as this area is not the tourist destination that Granada is). Once we arrived at Volcan Masaya, we had to drive an additional 4 km to the top of the volcano where the parking area and the large crater are located. The volcano is an active volcano and as such the trip bears some interesting precautions. For example the ranger service tells you to park your car facing backwards so that in the unlikely event of falling debris or eruption, you can quickly leave. We when arrived at the volcano it was releasing gases that gave the appearance that the entire crater was on fire (white sulfur gases were everywhere). Sadly, we couldn’t see the entire crater because the gases were so thick. Luckily, some wind would blow the gases away for a bit so we could glimpse the outline of the front of the crater and the lower crater. The crater was probably about 800 or more feet deep and maybe about 1000 feet wide. Located on the top on the nearby peak is a wooden cross that dates back to the 1500s. Usually we would be able to walk the nearby staircase to the top, but due to recent seismic activity, we could not. We also were not allowed to walk up the nearby road for some reason. The volcano was still quite impressive; despite the fact we couldn’t see it or see any lava.

 On the ride back to the city, I spoke to a member of the group that I didn’t know. For the life of me, I cannot recall his name, but he was a BME junior looking to go to med school to become a surgeon. I got talking about WPI and our term system and robotics at WPI. He was saying they had a unique program in their senior year where they work with a group to complete a senior project. I got talking about WPI’s projects and then eventually got talking about robotics since he was interested. I then spent probably a good 25 minutes talking extensively about FIRST robotics and MOE and FLL and FRC and St. Louis and FTC and everything. It was quite intense (in English) and he had never heard of FIRST but wished he had. After getting back to Granada, Dan and I went back to the homestay to have some lunch which had rice and a spaghetti-like main course. It was like spaghetti in vodka sauce with white rice (buttered rice that was wicked good) and fried plantains (basically potatoes that resemble bananas). We also had red Fanta which was really sugary. A las uno the big soccer match started. It was a championship match between two German teams. Dan and I watched the first 55 minutes at the homestay and only one team scored a goal in that time. We wanted to go join the group in a bar to watch the second half, but it was dumping rain outside at halftime and we waited until the rain let up a bit. By the time we arrived at the bar, the other team had tied up the score. Con nuestro grupo vimos el fin del partido. The first team to score made a second goal at 88 minutes (the match was 90 long) and they won. During the second half, I sat down at the bar next to a guy named Graham in our group, and not tool ong after a man put his hand on my shoulder and said I had taken his seat (in English). At this point I wanted to freak out as he said I had taken his seat next to his girlfriend. Luckily he said it was okay and just stood there for about five of the most awkward minutes of my life. He eventually sat down to the left of his girl. After we left the bar some of us decided to walk down to the dock and look at the beach. On the way we passed a house where they had an interesting piece of furniture: a (plastic) torso of a man chained against a wall. It was quite interesting. The beach looked nice from far away, but we quickly learned that this was deceiving, as the beach was polluted and was dark grey sand.

We then headed back to chill at the Euro cafe. We tried to play a little ping pong, but the ball was so badly cracked that it wouldn’t bounce reliably. A small group of us decided to explore a bit of the city east of the school. We found the cinema and a store that sold all sorts of DVDs, videogames, videogame systems, phones and iPods. They even sold NES games! Anyways we met a guy that wanted to just shake our hands and a guy that tried to sell us weed (that spoke in English). We also had a guy that punk’d Matt. The same guy then started dancing and doing back handsprings and handstands. He then started grunting/moaning and made handgestures that we should return to el calle Calzado a las siete par aver mas personas bailando (and having a rager probably). We decided to meet at the Magarita bar at 830 and went to eat dinner. I arrived at the Magarita bar at around 840 because I was typing this journal and showing little Adrianna Elena my camera and some photos on my computer. When I arrived at the bar, I didn’t initially see the others because they were sitting at a table outside, but I found them and bought a coke (for 25 cordobas for a 500 mL plastic bottle when Salvador vende un botella de coca cola en 355 mL por siete cordobas) and sat down to enjoy. My walk to the bar had been rather uneventful save for one instance where a security guard freaked me out when he was standing inside the courtyard of an abandoned home. Before I left Salvador told me to take a taxi back because last week there were 3 guys with knives out at midnight down the block (and we would be coming back late). I felt so bad because at the bar dije “un coke por favor” y el hombre de la barra me dio un Toña (una cerveza). I then had to ask for a coca cola and then when he asked if I wanted the beer I said no and he seemed a bit sad, but slightly jovial too. Anyways I got to meet another guy named Travis that was in Nicaragua to help with a local lagoon and trying to develop a marketing strategy for them to attract more tourists because apparently this lagoon is a nice landscape feature, but no one knows about it. Later on in the night (about 10 PM) I played a couple games of pool with Kasper and even got to be on a team with Charlotte  and despite me being awful at pool and her being slightly intoxicated, we did alright and only lost by one ball. Anyways I had a good time playing pool with Charlotte and chatting with her a very miniscule bit unfortunately. Anyways we got to see some break dancers and Akshay got punk’d again into buying two Mariachi songs from roaming guitar players for 100 cordobas. The first time he got punk’d was earlier where he went to buy a hammock from a hammock kid. The kid said that usually the hammocks go for 200 cordobas (like $8) and Akshay “bartered” him down to 165 cordobas ($6). The funny part was that after we were walking away and Akshay was in the front of the group, the kid told Charlotte, Hannah and I that the hammocks were only 150 cordobas.

At about like 1130 PM Dan and I took a taxi back to the house and had to wake Salvador unfortunately because the house estaba cerrada. One other thing about the day was that Kasper asked if I had thought about what I would do for my comedy routine and I said that I had thought a bit on it. I need to think more about it though. Perhaps I could talk about frustrations of being a gringo aquí, the flight down here, buying things, drinking things, talking to people (both those with EWH and those here in Granada), types of sketchy encounters that we have, walking from my homestay to the school (seems to take forever), expectations vs. reality of the dock and “beach,” the torso thing in the one home, the whole culture shock (which I am still feeling a bit of), buying things for cheap with cordobas and fixing things for an EE. Anyways tomorrow we see the islands and have Mass! Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment