Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 8 5/30/13 (Sketchy milk, Chinandega, Mother's Day, Gangnam Style and badly calculated tips/taxes)


Last night was not all that restful of a sleep for a multitude of reasons. First off: it was raining pretty hard (which was relaxing) but the rain decided to make friends with the electricity somewhere and knock out the power about when I was falling asleep. The fan turning off woke me up and the heat that rushed into the room certainly did not help me sleep any better. So I know I got less than 8 hours (probably closer to 7 hours if that) and combined with waking up at 5:45 AM (as per usual for some reason), I did not sleep well. I will stop complaining about that though. Anyways, breakfast and a cold shower managed to wake me up a bit. Breakfast consisted of B&R, a ham (?) and cheese omelet and the oddest milk/liquid rice I’ve ever had. Let me try to explain this drink: it was off white in color, grainy, thick and tasted like a mixture of four different flavored soymilks (and perhaps powdered milk thrown in too). Our homestay mother poured us like 18 oz glasses of the liquid and I felt obliged to drink it all (and not disrespect her). While consuming this liquid I felt like Kenny Rodgers doing the milk chug on the MadTV Jacka$$ sketch (which I recommend watching if you like funny videos and are not scared of Kenny Rodgers). Also this grainy patch of a thick substance would pool at the bottom of the glass and refused to mix into the drink (so I avoided drinking that part). I made the challenge and kept my breakfast down too. I apologize if my blogging today sounds like a rant/collection of complaints. I don’t intend as such.

At school we had the typical: work on pronunciation, speaking and vocab for the first two hours and then work on verbs for the second half. The first half was actually pretty interesting today as we talked about Chinandega (the town where several people will be going). The teacher (Jorge) was talking about how Chinandega has the second strongest and largest economy in Nicaragua besides Managua. He was also talking about how Chinandega is a big tourist city as it is so close to Honduras and is on the coast and has beautiful beaches. He also described how there is an active volcano in the area that draws tourists, but the volcano is a cursed blessing (because it attracts tourists, but also spews out acidic gases that make the roofs of the town oxidize more quickly (and cause problems for asthma etc)). Jorge was also saying how the town is more active because Chinandega has a monopoly on all of the trade traffic that enters Nicaragua (imports). This includes imports bound for Managua. Anyways, we also heard how the army of Honduras, Nicaragua and one other place were warring in the gulfo de Fonseca (a luxurious and well stocked fishing area next to Chinandega) except that they essentially declared the area DMZ because it was freaking out tourists. It must have been like “¡Bienvenidos a Chinandega! ¡Por favor no mires los ejercitos en el mar!” Naw, but seriously Chinandega sounds like a hopping place! It has beautiful beaches, a strong economy, tourism, clubs, good roads, good food (frutas, maiz (corn), sugar cane (caño de azúcar) (grown locally of course) and all the other standards including pollos, gallo pinto and verduras!), a dry tropical climate (about 70 to 80 ish during the winter of North America (November/December). The only problems are the acid rain and the incredibly hot temperatures (sometimes upwards of 40oC (104oF!!!)) the rest of the year (December through April or May and then maybe a bit milder weather (like 21 or 30o C) May to October). Apparently there was also this famous baseball player that played on the San Francisco (maybe another team?) Pirates and became a huge philanthropist for the area. He taught others how to play and helped the area quite a bit. He also had the record for the most bases stolen. Tragically he died on the route to Nicaragua one time when there was an earthquake and now he is revered as a hero. Jorge also talked about how there is a fútbol league here. Jorge even plays in the league in the Masters class and makes 300 Cordobas a match! We also talked about how the government has tried to help the poor with such things as new roof projects and with relief efforts, but Managua is still in a bad position for those located around the lake when it rains. The healthcare system here is also completely free which is nice because they will even treat foreigners for free. There are also private hospitals that are not free and are a tad more advanced due to larger funding. The doctors are the same quality in both hospital types as these doctors change between the two. The problem with the free healthcare and other governmental efforts is that some of the Nicaraguans have become heavily dependent on the government for support. An interesting note here is that Nicaragua has an agreement with Cuba where aspiring doctors can go to Cuba and study with a scholarship (for dorms, education etc) if the doctors return to Nicaragua to work for 2 years. This is agreement is because Cuba and Nicaragua want to retain good relations. Cuba has also been working to educate rural farmers in Nicaragua with literacy programs since the farmers were uneducated back in the 1960s and 1970s under Samoza’s rule. Cuba has also provided medical supplies and education to Nicaragua to further enhance relations. At one point in 1998 when hurricane Mitch hit Nicaragua, Cuba sent over a plane of supplies, but the president at the time refused to let the plane land. Hurricane Mitch hurt quite a few areas of Nicaragua including Léon, Chinandega and Pozoltega. Pozoltega was an exceptionally tragic case as the city was near the Volcán Casita (a volcano made of a giant mound of sand). When the hurricane struck with its long intense rain, the sand dislodged and essentially buried Pozoltega in sand (talk about freaky!). Another interesting fact about Nicaraguan education is that teachers (in their junior year of college) have to go out and volunteer 8 hours a week teaching the illiterate as a graduation requirement.

 

For your own safety please take a reading break and remove your eyes from this page for at least one minute. This page may still be here when you return unless your computer suffers a power loss or a blue screen or a toddler capable of closing webpages.

 

Welcome back! Please continue reading below:

 

Lunch after all of that was substantially less interesting (B&R), chicken, plantains and lettuce. The chicken was quite good though! Anyways, I got to talk to some new people at lunch, so that was quite enjoyable! Lecture was on NIBPs (non-invansive blood pressure units that are automated with just a cuff), IBPs (invasive blood pressure units that require a needle in an artery O.o -> X.x) and good ‘ole fashioned pressure cuffs (the word is sphygmanometer). We learned about the type of signal that the cuffs accept and how this signal is converted the pressure in a mercury column to give a reading of the systolic (peak BP) and the diasystolic (valley BP). We then learned how to repair the mercury columns (remove oxidation) and how to do some testing on the equipment and change a pressure dial needle if necessary (calibration). The lab after this was a continuation of the soldering lab. Today we spliced wires together using wrapping techniques, some solder and some heatshrink. The solid core was formed into conjoined eyehooks and soldered. The stranded wire was wrapped in Western Union style with the strands being twisted in opposite directions to form a tight braiding. The wires were then soldered and heat shrunk and withstood all the pressure we could apply to them! I briefly stopped at the Euro Café to check internet type things and people were reading my blog and wondering if they were mentioned. Note to anyone reading this:
If(something.equals("crazy") | something.equals("hilarious") | something.equals("weird"))
{
blog.addMention(something);
}

It was Mother’s Day in Nicaragua and this alone should signal celebration (and that is exactly what we did. Dan and I had agreed to buy to split the cost of some flowers for our host-mother. He was invited to dine with his old host family and traveled off into Granada after class. I walked home and stopped at a florist. The first florist wanted like 250 cordobas for like 3 roses in a bowl and I thought no way. So I said “un momento” and walked to the adjacent florist and asked how much the roses were. The prices here were much better (150 cordobas for a vase with 3 roses and a pleasant floral display). So naturally I bought them for 140 (because that’s all the paper money I had in cordobas in my wallet) and did not return to the first florists (I hope they can forgive me for using capitalism). The walk back from there was about 6 blocks and it was super awkward. The reason for this was because the people along the way kept judging me and giving me weird looks when I had the flowers. At one point I walked past some guys seated in wooden rocking chairs who muttered that I had spent 150 cordobas (about $6) on the flowers (and that I must be crazy probably). I suppose that $6 is almost a day’s wage for some here, so it’s reasonable they probably thought I wasted my money. Anyways, needless to say Adrianna absolutely loved the roses! I arrived back at about 5:30 PM because Adrianna said we would be going to the neighbors at 6 PM for dinner. I changed into a nice shirt (a slick new REI shirt that cost way too much, but is quite comfortable) and got ready. At home I met a guy named Francisco who was helping cook. After we left for the neighbors I never saw him again (secret agent undercover helping to cook to keep his identity confidential?).

   The neighbors’ house is quite spacious. The front room has a high ceiling and the room is perhaps 50ftx90ft and I was given a rocking chair to recline in and wait for dinner. Shortly thereafter a music man showed up (he had a bass drum on his chest and was carrying around crash cymbals and was asking what the occasion for the people sitting around was for (as there was maybe 10 of us sitting around in the room open to the street with two huge wooden doors). He was wondering if it was a birthday or something, but the mother in the house told him it was mother’s day. I thought he left, but turns out he brought the rest of his band there (with a trombone player and a snare drum person) and they started jamming and blasting this crazy music. I don’t even know how to describe the music except for it was definitely party music that featured a blaring trombone (and was incredibly loud). I was sitting right next to the door too, so that certainly helped to amplify the sound (as did the nice acoustic room). Anyways, the younger neighbor girl started dancing a bit (dancing that resembled clubbing) and got a few of the other people there to dance a bit. I was just content to sit there for a while. Even Adrianna got up and danced a bit with her. It kinda was a roaring party there for a bit (with dancing and music). I got asked to dance a bit, but declined. Until Adrianna pulled me up there, I was just sitting and trying not to lose my hearing. I started dancing a bit like the women up there had been (just sorta grooving to the music and not really doing all that much). I had a good time there and had most of the people gathered laughing and taking photos of me (so check Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter as I may be on there somewhere or perhaps even TMZ?) While the trombone player was wailing away on his piece, the neighbors’ dog was barking every time the trombonist played a note (and was trying to chase the trombonist off). This dog is a small poodle type dog that is not fearsome at all. The most hilarious part was that the band would finish playing a song and the dog would go in the other room until the band started up again and the dog would come tearing through to back at the trombonist. The trombonist would turn his instrument down towards the dog to scare the dog back (and the cold war continued). Anyways, further along in the night at maybe like 6:30 PM the band started playing more upbeat songs and I got pulled up again by the younger neighbor girl (who is in high school I think) to have a dance competition between us I think). I started throwing down some crazy dance moves (keep in mind crazy for me is just doing shuffling, maybe some fancy footwork or some backwards “falls” and some shoot-the-duck-esque style Russian kicking). These made the family laugh even harder and take even more photos. I was having a blast and was getting into the music while she was clubbing and doing the shake one’s body thing. Unfortunately the song ended soon after. I thanked everyone and sat down (I heard Adrianna say that I won so I laughed a bit to myself). Anyways, that wasn’t the best part. The best was that Salvador Jr. decided to go back to the house to grab his iPod so I went and grabbed my Flip video camera. I took some video of the house and the group when I got back (the neighbor’s house that is). Salvador Jr. grabbed his iPod because he wanted to DJ a bit to the stereo system that was in the front room. He told me that I should do Gangnam Style (by the way Word says Gangnam is spelled incorrectly) and put the song on. I decided to oblige the request and do my best if he would video it. Thus I found myself in front of like 12 Nicaraguas with Gangnam style playing and expecting me to dance and that’s what I did. A quick note is that I DO NOT know all of Gangnam style so I just kept doing the hand motions and then started throwing in my own shuffling etc to fill time. It wasn’t the greatest, but it had the people taking photos and videos probably (and some of the fathers sitting outside the house smiling at least. On video I look like the whitest person ever dancing. Literally I am the biggest Gringo ever on that film, but it’s hilarious (I think when I was actually doing the dance I was trying not to offend anyone and trying to not think too hard about anything). I only did this for about 2 minutes because I saw this one grandma sitting in her chair frowning at me so I was like “aight that’s a good place to stop and leave before she freaks out.” I sat down and they all liked it. Salvador Jr. then said I should do LMFAO’s “Sexy and I know,” but I wasn’t going to do it alone, so he said that I would start and he would join in. I went out there again for the beginning of the song. I started doing what I could remember from the video and got the “gurl look a dat body ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   gurl look at dat body ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” part when Salvador Jr. enters into frame. At this point we both continued to the “wiggle wiggle wiggle” part and then we started just throwing down crazy moves (he starts spongebob-ing at one point and I cannot spongebob either, so I just end up looking like a fail on camera, but it was all good). I then shuffle for a while to the rest of the song and have so much fun. After that I sat down and was sweating so profusely. The only other dancing I did was attempting the Macarena and getting my butt kicked so I sat down (on video). It seemed like an eternity until dinner at this point, but finally I got some dinner consisting of B&R, plantains, coleslaw, a chicken wing and this really good beef that had spices that made it incredibly tasty (and chewy). To wash this down I even got some red drank. Before diner I was able to have some vanilla ice cream in a dish with a blackberry on top and some jello on top as well (the jello was a weird combo with ice cream). Anyways all of that was so much fun and I had the best time with the neighbors. I waited a bit longer and got to see some more funny occurrences. Namely the neighbor girl started playing Ke$ha’s song “C’mon” while all the parents, older grandmas and young kids were in the room. For those that do not know this song, it’s basically about Ke$ha talking about picking up dudes and doing other Ke$ha trademarked activities (think super classy Ke$ha +  consumption of certain alcoholic beverages + late nights + WTF = “C’mon”). Basically I was laughing the whole time to myself. I also heard some Pitbull (DALE! –Pitbull at Shadowbrook (shoutout to Liz there)) and his song “Feel This Moment.” Basically the place was rocking! I left not too much after dinner because I wanted to meet people in town at 8:30 PM.

            The night from that point on was much less enjoyable, but was still quite fun, as basically we just went to different bars and I had water and a really sugary drink called fresca (apparently a product of Nicaragua). Anyways Other members of the group were in various states of drinks consumed and more or less we were all having a pretty good time. Despite that started feeling funky toward the end of the night, the night was good. We even got to see some drunk people dancing to a street band and two members of our group got pulled onto the train those people started. Also got ripped off by the last bar we went to as they charged 24 cordobas for bottled water, which isn’t too bad. When the check came they “calculated” 10% tip at being 4 cordobas. For any people with a calculator or mental math abilities can clearly see that 4 is not 10% but rather 16% (for the tip or for tax, dunno). Next time, we’ll skip that place.

            The night was a ton of fun despite having to walk back on the sketchy streets at like 11 PM and being called on by some chick I think, but we kept walking and ignored the call. Talk to y’all later, but until then, peace and as always, don’t die.

No comments:

Post a Comment