Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 5 5/27/13 (School, school, Spanish, respirators and formatting issues)


Today started off well I suppose, if you consider waking up at 5:45 AM a nice start. I didn’t have to get up until 6:45 AM, so I quickly passed out again for some more sleep. Anyways today was the first day of classes (Spanish and technical training). It started with a breakfast of (any guesses?) rice, beans, tortillas and cheese and scrambled eggs. Despite the bland sound of the food, it was actually quite good (especially the eggs). After that it was off to class.


            Arriving at the school at 7:45 AM, Dan and I saw the gated doors closed. We thought this meant that we couldn’t go inside, but this woman just walked up and looked at us sitting off to the side thinking to herself “man these Gringos are dumb” and just opened the gate. It was only slightly embarrassing. Classes today were focused on getting the students sorted into Spanish levels. The owner of the school read off names of those in the different levels. There are five levels (1 to 5) with 5 being the most advanced. Somehow I managed to place myself in level 4 and it was good for the first 2 hours (where we were working on grammar and pronunciation), but the second 2 hours were quite taxing (listening and speaking). I can read and write Spanish decently well, but the speaking is challenging for me now. The man teaching the grammar is patient and his name is Jorge (George). The woman leading the speaking and listening is named Mariella and she speaks quite a bit faster and is a bit harder to understand. I was able to understand a bit of what was happened, but every now and then a new word or phrase would lose me and it would take a few sentences for me to catch up. I think it will get even easier as I go along, so I didn’t get too down on myself. During the speaking session (2 hrs) we talked about Nicaraguan culture and about ourselves (because Mariella wants to get to know us). Mariella talked about the different customs here and the safety of the cities. For the most part the cities and public transport are reasonably safe, but Mariella said not to take a taxi alone or to have cellphones or wallets in back pockets on buses. Mariella was also saying that Nicaragua is much safer than most central American cities because in San Salvador people can’t even walk around safely because there is so much gang (gangs = pandillas) violence. Mariella was happy though because there really aren’t any gangs in Nicaragua. The primary reason for this is that in Nicaragua, the family is a very strong unit and force. It already can be seen in the fact that much of the family lives together for economic reasons and for the safety. Beyond this Nicaraguans typically spend most of their waking time together if they are not doing other things. This stresses the important family connections and ensures safety. Due to this time together, gangs aren’t really able to get a grip on society as the family doesn’t want them to. This was after Mariella said that one of the gangs beat up a woman’s son and the woman went to the hospital with the son and took care of him. She then talked to different families to prevent gang violence I think.

            Mariella also talked about the safety of Nicaragua. One of the first things she mentioned was that Managua is not super safe. She also mentioned that most of the areas that we (as students) would be travelling to would be pretty safe. Dan and I said that we will be travelling to San Carlos by the San Juan River (Río del San Juan). She said that it’s hot, but the river makes it more manageable. The downside is that this brings more mosquitos and Dengue fever to the area. So bring on the drums of DEET! (for the second month at least). We then had a lunch of seasoned beef, rice, beans and tortillas. After lunch we had a lecture on the medical equipment (respirators) and then a “lab” naming the tools in Spanish.
 
The Euro Café
 
 
 
            After class I went to the Euro Café (the hipster-tony-exclusive café that is really chill and is actually none of those prior adjectives) to grab some WiFi. With Coke in hand, I plopped myself in a chair and settled in to do some good Facebook-ing. I decided to start blogging on Blogger too (for those just reading this, welcome to my blog. How are you? Good good. How’s the weather where you are? Here it’s pretty rainy. Anyways I have to go do important internet things. See y’all!). Back to the ever interesting story of me spending 2.5 hours in the Euro Café. I spent this time checking up on internet life and tried to format Salvador’s MicroSD card (which by the way is either corrupted beyond reformatting or needs to have the previous partition erased). I am hoping the latter is the case. I have to download a program to erase the partition, but this program is 25 Mb. Usually I could download this in about 10 seconds at home or at WPI, but this will take at least 40 minutes (at 10 Kb/s     -.- / /  [router]-/  ). Anyways, I got back later and tried to nap a bit, but one of the neighbors decided that 6 PM was the perfect time to set off fuegos artificiales (fireworks) and my napping plan backfired. Anyways, today was pretty chill besides that. Gonna work a bit on getting some photos together for the blog. Take care y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment