Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 7 5/29/13 (Class, SOLDERING, SM SOLDERING (Did I mention soldering?) and a torrential downpour and flood)

          Today started off with normal breakfast of B&R, eggs with ham, and bread with orange juice maybe? Don’t quite recall. Anyways today in class we were retaking the first half of the test that we got back to improve our scores. I know I did much better on the first part already. After that we talked more about pronunciation and did a vocab exercise. Tomorrow we will present by talking about ourselves and our family a bit. During the grammar section we covered all of the present tense and the irregulars (except for estar, ser and ir). We literally covered like 30 verbs today at least. It was crazy. I feel more confident in the present tense though. We also talked a bit about where to go and what to see and the different travel options with our pronunciation professor. He said that it’s only like a 3 hour drive to San Carlos (which is basically right next to the Costa Rican border (frontera). Dan and I are hoping to travel to Costa Rica at some point during our time there. I’ve neglected to mention at any point during these entries that we have a break at about 10 AM to eat these awesome pastries filled with sweet pineapple mixtures and with meat (in different pastries).

            Anyways, for lunch we had this like boiled pork or chicken (I think chicken), B&R, warmed plantains, and vegetables (much like a stew without the broth). Decide for yourself below:

 
            All of the lunch was actually good. We then had a lecture on EKG/ECGs (electrocardiograph machines) and how to fix some minor issues with them such as the paper not showing the QRS waveform from the heart correctly, the paper not moving at the right speed, the stylus pegging on the sides of the paper (due to incorrect contacts or placement of electrodes), the calibration wave not being a square wave (due to incorrect pot settings in the machine) and the paper making exaggerated tracings (too much pressure on the paper -> change a pot setting). We also spent some time learning about how the electrodes must be placed around the heart (vectors I to VI) and how the electrodes must be placed on the right leg, left leg, right arm and left arm (if the machine is a 12 lead machine (only 10 wires); the difference in naming conventions is due to doctors and engineers not playing nice in preschool (no only joking on that last statement about the doctors and engineers). Besides this, we also had a mini-quiz on IV pumps, O­­­­2 concentrators, ventilators and respirators. After the lecture and quiz, we got to SOLDER! As in taking rosin core melt-able wire and heating a joint until that wire flows like a silver river of connections. We practiced soldering and desoldering (with particular attention to solder braid and the solder sucker). I also tried my hand at surface mount (SM) resistors and actually got decent at doing it. I also showed people how to desolder components using just a soldering iron and pulling on the component gently. I was able to get soldering down (along with tinning the tip) since I have done quite a bit of soldering before (with all my projects). Some people were having a bit of trouble with soldering, but they were making huge advances in their skills. We were practicing on these small PCB (printed circuit boards) that were from past years and some of the ESU testing boards from the states. Most of the boards were that badly soldered in the first place except for this one half of an ESU board. Literally this board had like BB sized globs of solder on each joint. These weren’t even really soldered to the PCB holes, but rather just above them. I started to fix each joint and then Dan and I decided to leave for the day. Seriously that board was whack.

            I left the school and headed for my hangout: the Euro Café. Today was actually a good day there. I bought a Coke for 20 cordobas (about 80 cents) and sat down. Initially I was able to get on the ‘Net. Not too soon after I got onto FB, Outlook and Blogger the internet failed and the staff had to reset the router. A little while later the same error happened again and Mark “reset” the router by unplugging it. After that I finished uploading all the photos to FB and blogger (to make all my fanatic (joking here folks just chill) readers happy). Meanwhile the sky looked incredibly menacing with dark shades of grey and thunder. I wasn’t done blogging so I stayed at the café (mistake? Not really). Anyways when I was just about done with my blogging it started to rain. Not too bad at first, considering I was sitting with my back to the open garden inside and I started feeling mists hitting my computer and I. I shifted around to put my back against the wall shortly thereafter. The sky literally opened up and forces unknown above started pouring dump trucks worth of rain down. It was torrential. The rain was so bad that it flooded the 8 inch deep motes around the garden area in about 25 seconds. I got up on a chair and everyone started freaking out. It was like the entire place was sinking because the water was rising around the chairs. I said it was like the Titanic all over again, but with less danger. Anyways, we cleared off toward the bathroom area of the café only to realize that the water was coming in from that direction as well! I said “futz that crud” and made a break for the stairs on the other side of the room (around the ping pong table and past the blind massage area (the room is like a picture frame border around the central garden)). That was my saving grace. I was the first one on the stairs and the first one to start avoiding the water. I kept hoping that the water would not rise to the level of the electric outlets on the walls because then it would literally have been tragic most likely. We were not prepared to handle large currents in that situation (and luckily we didn’t have to). Anyways, not long after I got on the stairs the rest of the group and some other students joined me up there. Luckily the staircase was huge and lead up to an enclosed balcony where one can look down upon the garden. Meanwhile despite this chaos the internet kept on running (just like the band on the Titanic). To those people whom I was talking to during this time, y’all must think that I was freaking out, but in reality I was having a blast. It was epic! Shout out to Liz2 (Liz and Elizabeth) who got a chance to glimpse second hand (through Skype) the water. Anyways there was probably about an inch of water on the floor in the café in addition to the garden being flooded. We waited until the rain subsided a bit and then made a break for our homestays. Dinner was uneventful after that (B&R, cheese, bread and that stew stuff). I have to still do some homework (for Spanish) so take care y’all! And as always don’t die!

No comments:

Post a Comment